Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Screenplay of Looooove (Spring 2002 - 8th grade)

[Found this gem hidden in my journal!]

{Scene}  (Chorus Room)   
John and Chrissy have just walked in through the band room, and are waiting for Mr. Michaels to get back from signing in to the office.  There's a knock at the hallway door, and a guy with glasses and black hair in a band uniform is there.
John: (to the guy) Hey...your bowtie is messed up.  (Tries to fix it.)
Guy: (looks at Chrissy) Hey, John, is that your sister?  [EX-cuuuuuse me?  Is you not seeing me standing right here??  Rude!] 
Chrissy is already getting creepy vibes from this guy.  She laughs when John does and shakes her head, trying to appear casual.
John: Naw man; does she look like my sister?  (Continues fussing with the bowtie.)
Guy: No.  (Looks Chrissy up and down.)  Man, stop messing with my tie; I look fine! 
John: Yeah right; Chrissy, who looks better, me or him? 
Chrissy: (who wants to immediately shout "John" restrains herself, studies them each a moment, and says)  John does... 
John, satisfied, walks over to the piano and starts playing the keys.  Chrissy goes and sits down in one of the chairs.  The guy sits right next to her.  [EX-cuuuuse me sir, don't you see we is in a chorus room with all these chairs to choose from??  Why is you sitting right nex' to me??  SECURITY!] 
Guy: So, are you and John going out? 
John suddenly stops playing the piano, and Chrissy pauses.
Chrissy: Yes... (She gives John a look.  John, catching on to the lie, nods in agreement.)
Guy: Nuh-uh, it took you two too long to answer; y'all aren't really going out. 
John: Yes we are! 
Guy: (still suspicious)  Okay, whatever.  
Chrissy: Why'd you wanna know anyway? 
Guy: Well...  (gives Chrissy the once-over again)  No reason... 
Chrissy: (moves away from him and goes to stand next to John; then, in a whisper to John)  John, let's get outta here! 
John agrees, and they both exit, the guy following... 

{Scene 2} (Outside in the courtyard that same morning)   
John and Chrissy are walking quickly together.  Chrissy glances over her shoulder and slows down.
Chrissy: John, I think we lost him. 
John: (slowing down, too)  Good. 
Chrissy: Does he always act like that? 
John: Yeah, he's always flirting. 
Chrissy: (trembles in disgust)  Ugh. 
John: Exactly! 
Chrissy: Uh-oh, John; there he is! 
The guy walks toward them, waving.
Chrissy: Quick, let's go talk to Ashley and them. 
John: Good idea; c'mon! 
They quickly head over to a group of 7th graders, some of which they know.  Chrissy starts talking to Ashley and Piper.
Chrissy: (out of John's earshot) Guess what?  I just got hit on by one of John's really ugly friends!  He asked me if I was going out with John, and I said yes! 
Piper: What?  You're going out with John? 
Chrissy: No, I just said that so that guy wouldn't ask me out! 
Ashley: (puts her hand up to Chrissy's ear and whispers)  Why don't you just go out with John?  You would look so cute together! 
Chrissy laughs and shakes her head, all the while secretly agreeing.  Suddenly, the bell rings.
John: (as he walks away with Chrissy)  What were y'all talking about?  
Chrissy: Well, I just told them what happened.  Ashley said I should go out with you, cuz we would look cute together!  (laughs again)
John: Well, why not? 
Chrissy: (as she girlishly squeals in her mind)  Cuz school's almost over, and... 
John: We'll be going to the same school next year anyway.  I hope we have some classes together. 
Chrissy: Yeah, me too.

[TALK ABOUT ANTICLIMACTIC!  #middleschoolprobz]


2 comments:

  1. What kind of ending is that?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, hi. It makes me happy that this is one of the ways you journaled about your experiences in middle school. No lame, "so this is how my day went..." for you. Let's make it a sceenplay.

    ReplyDelete