Friday, November 4, 2016

Internet Dating - A Cautionary Tale (Circa 2003)

This is a note between me and a friend during high school.

Me: Good morning beautiful!  I don't think I asked you yesterday, but how was your vacation?

JR: It was good; really good.  :)  I was really glad to see Collin!  How about you?  How was yours?

Me: Well, Monday & Tuesday were spent talking to G :)  and Wed.-Sat. I hung out with friends.  It was awesome!

JR: Hold on now - who is G?

Me:  ....a guy ;)

JR: A guy who is?  That tells me nothing.

Me: Ok well, he lives in GA and I really like him and...he's so sweet!  (ask KW, I'm for real!)

JR: How do you know this guy?

Me: I kind of met him...in a chat room.  DON'T YELL AT ME!  He's for real.  I might have...written him a letter.  :/

Why not?  Yell at me (in the note of course), but don't ignore me. :(  I didn't get mad at you a/b TEQUILA BOY.

JR: That was different, you don't know who this guy really is.  It could be any weird freak from B.F.E. and anything could happen, now that he has your address.

Me: But so what?  I have his address and I trust him.  We've been talking ever since May and I didn't give him my address right away.

JR: That doesn't matter because every day girls die from crap like this!  They think talking for awhile is enough to say you know him and then give him some hope after awhile.  The next thing you know, they are in a ditch dead w/ their families and friends worried to death.

Me: So what do you think I'm going to do?  Meet him somewhere alone?  No; I'm not going to let myself be alone w/ him.  And my friend has met his brother before and his sister used to come here, so it's not like noone knows him.

JR: Whatever.  You do whatever you want.  But I don't want to talk about it.


That was the end of that conversation.  I did end up meeting "G" in person (he came to my sister's house for a meal one time), and it went horribly.  Thankfully, he wasn't catfish-ing or creeping on me, but he was just horribly awkward.  The end.

2 comments:

  1. Oh G. Thank goodness that never went anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preach it, sista! That would have been a DISASTER.

      Delete